1. If I am involved in a cycling accident with another vehicle on the road, what should I do?

- Never admit that it was your fault
- Note the driver’s name, address, vehicle registration number and insurance details
- Take names, telephone numbers and addresses of at least two witnesses
- Ring the helpline. We are here to help you through this traumatic situation
- Report the accident to the police
- If injured ensure that you seek medical advice from a hospital or your GP
- Photograph visible injuries
- Keep any damaged clothing and cycle parts and try to obtain a written assessment of the damaged items
- If you incur any expenses as a direct result of the accident, make sure you keep a full record of these along with receipts where appropriate

2. When I ring the helpline following an accident, is my call answered in a call centre?

No, all helpline calls are answered by highly qualified professionals who can help and assist you straight away.

Our cycling helpline is answered 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday by a person based here in the UK and outside of these hours by a voicemail facility where you will be called back as soon as possible by a person trained to help you.

3. I am a Bicycle Protect policy holder. Is my family included in any of the cover?

No. These benefits are only available to the policy holder.

4. Do I have to pay legal fees?

No you don't have to pay any legal fees. Part of your Bicycle Protect policy entitles you to free legal advice for accident claims. Our expert lawyers will assess your claim and establish if you have a good case against a third party.

5. How much compensation could I expect?

It isn't possible to put an exact figure on this, as every compensation claim is calculated based on things like pain and suffering, both past and future, as well as loss of earnings and other expenses. All we can promise you is that you will get 100% of what you are entitled to.

6. If my claim is successful, how much compensation will I keep for myself?

Does Bicycle Protect make any deductions?  You are guaranteed to keep 100% of your compensation award. We make absolutely no deductions of any kind.

7. I was hit by an uninsured driver. Can I claim?

Fortunately, there is an organisation called the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) which is funded by all of the motor insurance companies in the UK. Where a driver who has injured you is uninsured or untraceable, it is still likely that we can claim on your behalf from the MIB.

8. What happens if the injuries and damage to my bike are insignificant?

If your claim is thought to be worth less than £1,000 then this will be referred to the Small Claims Court. The solicitor that you speak to will let you know if this is the case and will pass a Small Claims pack to you. Bicycle Protect do not support these cases as legal costs cannot be recovered from a 3rd party insurer, even if the case is successful. For this reason it is uneconomic for Bicycle Protect to fund small claims. In the Small Claims Court injury cases are pursued by litigants in person, the court staff are able to provide assistance. The solicitor who contacts you will be able to advise you further in these types of cases.

9. I have just had an accident and I think it's my fault. What should I do?

Always ring the helpline. They will advise you of the best course of action and help you assess if it is your fault. In any case, never admit liability before speaking to one of our advisers.