Theft Insurance Cover

1. What is covered?

Theft, Accidental Damage, Extended Warranty, Personal Accident (up to £10,000), Public liability cover (up to £1 million) and 60 days international cover.

2. What are the main exclusions?

- Any theft where the cycle has not been left unattended when away from the insured location unless it has been locked to an immovable object using an approved lock.

- Any theft from a building, land or premises unless force, resulting in damage to the building was used to gain entry or exit.

- Any claim for cosmetic damage (e.g. scratches) or wear and tear

- An Excess Fee of the first 10% of the maximum cover limit for your cycle, with a minimum charge of £25.

3. How do I keep my cycle safe and fully insured when outside?

When your cycle is being kept away from your home, you must make sure that it is locked to an immovable object (any solid object fixed in or on to concrete or stone which cannot be removed or lifted, under or over your bicycle, or, a properly fixed vehicle cycle rack, or if at a train station, a cycle rack supplied by the station and under the jurisdiction of the transport police) and that you use an approved lock as listed below:

Cycles up to the value of £250 require a Bronze-rated Sold Secure lock  Cycles up to the value of £1500 require a Silver-rated Sold Secure lock  Cycles that have a value exceeding £1500 require a Gold-rated Sold Secure lock

4. Is there a limit for how long I can leave my cycle when away from me?

Yes. Your cycle cannot be left when away from your home (the insured location) for more than 12 hours at a time and for all this time it must be locked to an immovable object with an approved lock.

5. I have previously made a claim, will my premium be affected?

You need to inform us about any bicycle related losses you have had during the past 3 years. This will not affect your premium but it is paramount that you answer this question honestly as any misinformation provided could invalidate any claim you may make.

6. Do I need to have a brand new bike to get insurance?

All bikes must be less than 36 months old at time of insurance purchase and must be in your possession and in full working order. There is no upper limit on the age of the bicycle once insured.

7. Do you insure professional cyclists?

No. We can only insure cyclists who do not earn their living from cycling.

8. What value should I insure my bike for?

The value should be based on the undiscounted costs of the cycle including VAT.

9. What is the maximum value you insure?

We currently insure any cycle up to the value of £3000.

10. Is there an excess fee payable for any claims?

Yes. There is an Excess Fee payable for each and every claim of the first 10% of the maximum cover limit for your cycle, with a minimum charge of £25.

11. Am I covered if I lend my cycle to someone else?

No. The insurance is only valid for the policy holder.

12. Can I make changes to the policy at any time?

Yes you can. Simply email any amendments to

13. Do you cover motorbikes or scooters?

No. We only offer cover for bicycles.

14. Do I need proof of ownership?

Yes. In the event of a claim you will be asked to supply the original receipt for your cycle and if relevant to your claim you will also be asked for the receipt for your approved lock. Alternatively, bank or credit card statements can be provided and in some circumstances, retailers may be able to provide copy receipts for larger purchases. If no proof of ownership is available you should not insure your cycle.

15. Who is Bicy Insurance underwritten by?

Bicy Insurance is a trading name of Insurance Factory Limited.

This insurance is arranged by Insurance Factory Limited with UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of:

Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE, Registered in England No.SE000083. Registered Office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 3AJ.

Insurance Factory Limited and UK General Insurance Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.